Wednesday, October 10, 2018

October 10: A few more

Some weather:

 If you can see the backs of leaves blowing in the wind, it’s about to storm. If the breeze blows straight, it might mean rain but no storm.

Cicadas or katydids start singing three months before the frost.

 If birds are feeding on the ground during a rainstorm, it will rain all day.

 And I’m sure the persimmon isn’t just Ozark--split the seed, and if the growth inside is a spoon, it means heavy wet winter snow. A fork means little snow, and a knife means wind, sleet, ice all winter.

While a few of these have scientific basis (like the leaves showing before a storm due to the wind movement), I thought these were well known truths until I was in college.

2 comments:

  1. I like that. When we get to college, we begin to see what we've been breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard the persimmon one, and even tried it once.

    ReplyDelete