Saturday, June 16, 2018

June 16

He makes twice what I do. More than twice what I do. Each month we sit down and argue (ahem, "discuss") which bills apply to children's care and which are normal expenses that do not need to be split. I keep a meticulous budget now, never forgetting to write something down and record a check or receipt. Everything is gone over with a fine tooth comb. He complains that he has nothing to give. He can't get my daughter a car with me. And yet I still have access to his bank records because he has still not taken me off the account. Somehow he is rolling in money. Somehow.

Somehow.

It's making me put out my own fires, being single after 25 years being attached. And this is one of them.

I hustle with the best of them. I make it work.

But I'm not letting him off the hook.

8 comments:

  1. In a waiting room yesterday, I saw an article about how Brittany Spears's ex was whining about his paltry $20K/month child support and how it makes him the "mean parent" because she can just get the kids whatever they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, please don't let him off the hook. I had dinner with a friend of mine whose ex-husband has defaulted on court-ordered school payments for his son (who has just turned 18, left school, and yet the payments were due this time last year). She's had to put up with this for years, and is finally, belatedly, pushing it with him. She alone has funded and supported her children's sports activities, despite his fancy new houses, Porsches, home renovations etc. And yet he is taking credit for the (considerable and potentially lucrative) sporting successes, to which he contributed nothing.

    Don't leave it too late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep snagging him on that hook! I can't imagine how draining this must be for you. Foolish of him to have you still on his accounts...the criminal side of me wants you to write next that you've drained the accounts, and taken the girls to Argentina to raise Arabian horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smile (at Kim's comment).

      (Comment on post) This kind of bullshit must be so draining--why do people have to be so petty and shitty?

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry this is happening. He really should not be off the hook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think what shocks me is that he was never so miserly when we were married. It's weird what separation brings out in people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate only via a friend who went through something similar. She and her husband were gifted with money frequently by his parents while they were married. She always worked, but her hubby would quit jobs and be unemployed for long stretches through their marriage. When they separated, he told her if she didn't quit harassing him over money he owed her for child support, his father was going to sue her to pay back all the money gifted to them during the marriage. It was bullshit of course, but she had to talk to a lawyer before she would believe he father couldn't demand it all back from her.

    ReplyDelete