Monday, December 10, 2018

December 11: Happy Things

From my window at work, the second story of a behemoth three story school building, a building filled with desperate traumatized children (and to be sure, adults--you know those adults who pull themselves out of unhappy childhoods and then try to have the hearts big enough to turn around and pull other children out? I teach in a school filled with them, and it is heartwarming, dangerous, precarious, and heartbreaking), I can see the following birds on a regular basis:

Chipping sparrows
House sparrows (eyeroll)
Bluejays
A red-bellied woodpecker
Wild turkeys
Canadian and snow geese
Coopers hawks
Red-tailed hawks
Bald eagles.

BALD EAGLES.

I am less than a half mile from the Mississippi River and I drive past a huge nest by the Chain-of-Rocks Bridge every day and think about the world I live in where I can see bald eagles in the wild.

Sometimes we fix our mistakes.

Whether our broken upbringings or our pesticide use, sometimes we mend what's broken.

And that can be enough.

5 comments:

  1. Bald eagles? Wow. And yes, it can be enough when we fix our mistakes. I feel that way when I see kaka. This post made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice list of birds you can see from your window at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your Canadian goose entry deserves a second eye roll. Although maybe the snow geese cancel the Canada goose eye roll... Indigo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just know Canada geese are the ones you eat because snow geese eat roots and therefore their meat is bitter.

    ReplyDelete