Tuesday, October 30, 2018

October 30: The What If's

What if Sophia, 17, had been parking when the shooter came? What if she and Maeve had been coming over to get something? What if Leo and a friend were riding bikes? What if the little 10 year old next door was on her porch? Stray bullets kill all the time. My students talk about it at school. Now it is too close to home. I took a walk with the dog later that day, but what if I'd been rounding the corner when the shooter ran up? The garages in our neighborhood are flimsy-walled. I am in direct line of sight. Sitting on my couch in the living room. Friends come over. Kids run by. I must fight for this place. But I am so tired and have so much on my plate. I must.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Bridgett. I hope things get better soon. And all of those "what ifs" were possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly scary list. I remember cowering in our house in DC years ago, when we could hear guns going off too close, and then closer. I was so aware of all the windows and that I didn't know if the old bricks would stop a bullet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house's walls are over a foot and a half thick (St. Louis brick done nice and tight). But the windows? The original wood door? I think about it.

      Delete