Friday, October 12, 2018

October 12: Trick or Treat

In St. Louis, we trick-or-treat, as does most of the country, in my experience. I've lived in Wisconsin, Georgia, California, Texas, and Oklahoma and it happens in all. What doesn't happen anywhere I've been to outside of St. Louis is joke telling on Halloween. Kids come to the door dressed in costume and it’s expected that each child tell a joke to earn candy.

These jokes are terrible, of course. Puns and bad knock-knocks. Little kids tell made up jokes that are not funny. Every so often one will be especially good and then I tell it to all the kids in return for theirs.

 No joke? No candy. I’m easy, though. I give jokes away so the next house will have candy.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. And I've heard of this. But I've never lived where we've done this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea. Wish it was the custom in PA.

    ReplyDelete