Sunday, July 8, 2018

July 8: Odsplut

The sow came in with the saddle
The little pig rocked the cradle
The dish stood up on the table
To see the pot swallow the ladle.

The spit who stood behind the door
Through the pudding-stick on the floor.

"Odsplut!" said the gridiron, "Can't you agree?
I'm the head constable, bring them to me."


I've never seen that nursery rhyme anywhere else but this book, my favorite night time read-aloud when I was very, very young. My mother indulged me with that rhyme again and again, calling out "Odsplut!" like it had some sort of magic power and I would laugh and laugh.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of one of the Lemony Snicket books that had "snow scouts" in the plot. Just try to say "snow scouts" over and over! The boys would make sure that I had to read about them over and over until I was saying "slow snouts" or something close and they would roll all over the bed laughing until one would fall off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I've never heard that rhyme either.

    ReplyDelete