Monday, November 5, 2018

November 5: House on Echo Lane

My grandparents' house, small, white, utilitarian; detached garage with no doors stuffed with cars and junk on a postage stamp working class suburban plot.

 The basement access stairs covered in English ivy: such a good hiding place. Grapevines, and the wires that supported them--I never ate the grapes but I walked between the wires and the back fence in my own hidden corridor.

The garage sat only a foot from the fenceline and only a child could squeeze back there. Nothing to see or find, but there was a sort of magic in the proportions.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I really like that last line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Hiding places are so important when we're young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mali said what I was thinking. Makes me think of all my hiding places as a kid.

    ReplyDelete