Tuesday, November 13, 2018

November 13: Vermont

My friend Trisha goes to Vermont each year and stays near a town that is right near Indigo Bunting.

For a long time Trisha would say, "Bridgett, you would love Vermont," and then goes on to describe some hardscrabble hippie thing that is just. like. me. And she's right. I would love Vermont.

The tenor of this conversation has changed over the years. It has gone from, "we should go/you should go/you would love Vermont" to something more hesitant.

"I'm afraid that if you went to Vermont," she admitted, "that you would never come home."

I laugh, but she is probably correct.

It feels a little bit like Passover when I think about it.

Next year in Vermont. Next year in Vermont. Next year in Vermont.

8 comments:

  1. We would love to see you here in Vermont. But it's a complicated state. And remind me again where your friend visits. I believe you've told me, but I'm old and senile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pawlett? Does that sound right? Maybe east?

    Complicated is ok. I lived in Texas for a long time and whoa, Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in West Pawlet, which is a part of Pawlet taxwise! (I call it Ghetto Pawlet.) Whom does she visit, I wonder?

      Delete
  3. I've been to Vermont twice. Once on a 3-week trip from DC to Maine and back and once on a college tour trip where I stopped in to see IB and Lali.

    I liked it both times but I was not compelled to move there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vermont is the eastern state on my bucket list. Purely because IB lives there, and I MUST meet IB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So if you moved there ... bonus for me!

      Delete
    2. We must all meet. Need to find a place we can all agree to travel to! Canada?

      Delete