Saturday, August 25, 2018

August 25: The Letter

A letter arrived with the change of address
yellow sticker on the envelope how could
her handwriting still have the same shape over
thirty years as friends

in the envelope is a photo of her
family all dressed in denim somehow she
has six children her own little volleyball
team except they are

tiny midwestern people better suited
to swimming or tumbling I realize reading
her letter, an announcement of her sixth birth
along with the news

of her children's accomplishments, that I have
nothing left to say to her that she would want to read

6 comments:

  1. I'd like to read that letter (because I'm nosy, and want to know more).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started out the same, it seemed. She is my oldest friend. But along the way she became more and more strictly Catholic and I became less and less strictly anything. Her children have heavily loaded Catholic names. She thinks it is inappropriate for mothers to work outside the home. Other things that only a lifelong Catholic would understand, words said, things assumed about seasons and celebrations and conservative values. I don't share them. And the past year my life has blown to bits and I can't be judged by yet another person, as much as she once meant to me and I think me to her. It's hard.

      Her oldest plays trombone and spent the summer corn shucking. Her daughter Gianna is in gymnastics and plays the flute. Etc. All happy stuff always. But my life isn't and I can't lie.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Bridgett. And I'm sorry...

      Delete
  2. I have old friends like that. I love this phrase - "I have
    nothing left to say to her that she would want to read." Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed. I'll be we all know that feeling. It's a hard feeling.

    ReplyDelete