Friday, August 17, 2018

August 17: Texas Thoughts

I learned what I liked about music, about
men, friends, weather, texmex, barbecue, and sky
in Texas. On a bus to Flagstaff. Count the
Dairy Queens. Clouds. Cows.

Stop in high school on the way to a retreat
in San Antonio. August in Texas.
Trying not to breathe. Patrick's sleeves rolled up, he
could fade into the

crowd for the first time since I met him. Water
in the glasses at the cafe hazy. John
doesn't drink his; I drink mine, grinning. Nothing
like driving alone

through Texas. Except maybe sharing a cab
of a truck with someone worth looking at, watch
him tell me anything, anything just to
hear the voice and see

the expressions he already planned before
I got in, shotgun. Stopping for gas, getting
back out on the Farm to Market road, thinking,
what do I say now?

5 comments:

  1. Can I just say how wonderful this is without being able to explain, not even to myself, why I love it so much? I am right there beside you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there room for another person in that cab? I agree with Sabine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Late to the party here, but everyone is right. Love the list in line 2. Everything builds up to "shotgun." Great poem.

    ReplyDelete