Wednesday, July 4, 2018

July 4: Up the Down Staircase

I've read a lot of teacher books and watched a lot of teacher movies (To Sir, With Love; Goodbye Mr. Chips; Bridge to Terabithia--more on that later; Stand and Deliver) and there are a lot of idealized rosy pictures of teachers out there. There are also shockingly depressing accounts (Savage Inequalities and anything by Kozol, frankly).

And standing between them is Up The Down Staircase. As in "you can't go up the 'down' stairscase". It's the story of an idealistic young teacher who starts her career in an underfunded overcrowded urban high school in the 1960s.

But it's not a period piece.

Because it is my life in book form. Not all of it, of course, and not in the same way (I'm middle school, she is high school; laws are different and so are populations), but damn it is true to life.

Best part: it is not a narrative story. It is told through administrative memos, notes from kids and others from teachers, faculty meeting minutes, and letters the main character writes to a friend living out in some sleepy suburb. I LOVE books like this, that turn writing around one way or another.

When folks ask me what the best novel about teaching is, it's this one. I read it again and again.

8 comments:

  1. I read that in high school and it is partly why I became a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that all I can think of to say this month is that now I really want to read another book. But I really want to read this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure I read this as a teenager and, like so many things, can't remember a damn thing about it. Definitely need to read it again. Thanks for this, B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was made into a pretty good film, if I recall correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read this, but saw the movie long ago. Also I think that when my sisters were still in high school and I was in elementary grades, the senior class actually put on the play for this -- we had a pretty daring drama teacher at the time. Now that I know about its form, I need to find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading this. I wish it had motivated me to become a teacher--although at this point in my life the thought is exhausting.

    PS: Evan Hunter, author of Mothers and Daughters (my yesterday post) also wrote Blackboard Jungle. Remember that one?

    ReplyDelete