Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July 31. I couldn't even start

And a few books I couldn't even start.

From Book Club:

1. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
2. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
4. Dawn by Elie Wiesel (I did read Night and am glad I did)
5. The Giver by Lois Lowry
6. The Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough

From friends' recommendation (ok, I'll admit, mostly my father and my ex-husband):
1. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester (but I did read Demolished Man)
2. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
3. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
4. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
5. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
6. Stranger in a Strange Land by by Robert Heinlein


9 comments:

  1. Gasp. I love Kurt Vonnegut. I mean in a fangirlly, stalker way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Sabine, I'm a Vonnegut fangirl. But the rest of your list is totally solid. (I read one of those Heinlein books, and have absolutely no memory of it...so it's as if I never read it, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're not in the mood, it's no good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liked The Kite Runner. And The Thornbirds. Jodi Picoult books are easy reads, and sometimes interesting, sometimes annoying. I can't remember much about that one. Didn't love The Lovely Bones so no loss there!

    Haven't read any from the second list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband encouraged me to read Ayn Rand. I liked The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, but probably because I found them sexy. The political stuff went over my head. Plus I skipped what's-his-name's pages-long speech in the middle of the latter. However, being introduced to Ayn Rand was a good thing, because the highest price I ever received for a single item on eBay was about $1,400 for a signed limited-edition copy of AS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold -- refuse to even consider reading
    2. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult -- I think I read this. Or not.
    3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini -- read it. liked it at the time. I hate it now
    5. The Giver by Lois Lowry -- Loved this and the rest of the series
    6. The Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough -- read a long time ago and liked it. Doubt I would now though.
    Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut and 3. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut -- read both. Liked them enough to finish them.

    ReplyDelete