Saturday, July 28, 2018

July 28: Books I was forced to read

Certain books I never would have picked up if I had not been forced to. Some I was happy to put back down again but others became my favorites:

1. 100 Years of Solitude - Senior year of high school
2. Floatplane Notebooks - summer reading before junior year
3. Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - summer reading before senior year
4. The Van by Roddy Doyle
5. Emma by Jane Austin
6. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin --4, 5, 6 all from the same college lit course
7. Devices and Desires by P. D. James. Junior year of high school. One of two mysteries I've ever read.

4 comments:

  1. I read mysteries all the time, but haven't tried P.D. James. I know the name though. That's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea...what was I forced to read? And what was I glad about after?

    ReplyDelete
  3. PD James is excellent. Also Minette Walters. Very old-style British.

    I also read The Van by Roddy Doyle as it's a Man Booker Prize winner I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read one PD James. And Floatplane Notebooks.

    ReplyDelete