Thursday, July 12, 2018

July 12. Read Aloud

I introduced the read alouds at bedtime. Of course I'd read to my daughters when they were younger, and then a little bit to Leo. When John and his son Johnny moved in, I continued. Leo was 4 when they moved in, and Johnny was almost 5. They loved it. It was also a way to distract from the gun games and the arguing.

I read aloud one night to the two of them in John's bed before I sent Leo up to his room on the third floor for the night. I read three Dr. Seuss books in a row. I sent Leo up and I left Johnny to settle in for the night. I walked out of the room and found John on the couch in the little library/computer room/loft above the stairs, his eyes closed.

"It's so good to just listen to a story," he said.

"Yes it is," I agreed. I loved reading but I also loved listening. "You could give it a try too."

So the next evening after he got home from work and cleaned up, after the boys got baths and ready for bed, I had them bring him books downstairs in the living room. They read book after book, starting with Curious George.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Reading to children is something I miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Susan said, sweet. And sad, now knowing the end of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What everyone has said. And what a wonderful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I would give to be able to read to a young one tonight! Thanks for writing this lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete