Sunday, June 28, 2020

My World Part VI: Brief Epilogue to Part V


I wrote to my cousin and told him the beach photo was making me crazy jealous.

"Yeah," he wrote back, "We do have great sunsets here."

I then told him he looked happy and that made me happy to see. Several hours later he replied to my comment.

Learn to ignore what the photographer saw, isn't that how the Pet Shop Boys song goes? I am, we are very lucky right now but happy doesn't really tell the story. NYC is horrifying. We are lucky we got out and could collect ourselves here. I've had to furlough 5 people and now I lie awake at night worried about how those families will put food on the table too. I've had 10 friends hospitalized with COVID and 4 of them died. I don't know what's going to happen next and I'm terrified, my line of work doesn't matter, I mean fashion? Fucked. Interior design I might be able to keep working at if anyone is left to care about interior design after this. But I'm strong and I can work and I think I can make it somehow. What about you, how is your family and job? 

God I love him so much and it reminded me of a friend who once said if you take a group of women, have them write down their problems on slips of paper and put them in a bowl to pass around and choose from, when everyone goes home they will go home with their own problems. Other people's problems are too hard.

I'm jealous of the good parts of his life but I know I couldn't handle the hard parts. Xoxo Joe.

3 comments:

  1. OK. I'll stop being angry on your behalf. The world is fucking scary. I'm glad he wrote to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is always much more behind the photo. This is such a good reminder. I'm glad he responded and you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They most certainly do deserve their idyllic retreat. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete